Nicol Transport recently took delivery of a new engine, here are a few words and pictures by John Dunn
Nicol Transport's New Engine
The month of March has seen a new addition to the Nicol transport stable of vintage vehicles.
The immaculate ex Les Vernon engine called "Showman" has made it's way to Portlethen complete with it's curtain sider low loader and Volvo tractor unit.
The engine started life in 1925 in Dumfries, called Billy. After forty years of hard work in the borders Billy was sold on to a new owner a Mr Carrington of Yorkshire. We don't know how long he kept the engine for but it was sold on to Mr Slater also of Yorkshire, who changed the name to Delilah.
However it was soon on the move again and a Mr John Toulson of Middleton in Teesdale became the next owner, in 2001.
In 2005 she was acquired by Showman Leslie Vernon of Hetton Le Hole (Tyne and Wear).
Les and his son stripped the engine down and carried out a major refurbishment which was neatly finished off by being repainted and lettered in the livery of L. Vernon and Son amusements. The Vernon family rallied the engine in 2006/2007, however after an annual firebox and boiler test they were advised the engine needed a new firebox to meet new safety guidelines.
In the winter of 2007 Delilah was completely stripped down again for a second time by the Vernon family and a new firebox made by A.G.Bicknell, new tubes, and tube plates were fitted. The entire engine was reassembled and carefully painted again and was back together again by May of 2008, and it was rallied every year after that.
We look forward to seeing her on the Scottish rally scene and taking her place among the showman's line up at Castle Fraser rally.
|Fowler Showman’s tractor|
|Reg No.||SM 5121|
|Nominal Horsepower 6NHP|